COVID 19 Protocol: Please note that all candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status. Candidates that do not provide full vaccination status will not be considered.
Fort Garry Industries has an exciting opportunity for a Heavy-Duty Mechanic working out of our Regina branch. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic is required to perform skilled tasks in the mechanical repair and maintenance of heavy-duty trucks and trailers. Work assignments will be received in the form of oral or written work orders; however, the employee is expected to determine the nature and extent of needed repairs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Repair and adjust hydraulic pumps, safety valves, and any other necessary mechanical components
- Inspect, repair, and adjust gasoline and diesel-powered units
- Perform incidental welding operations on equipment
- Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations, and compliances
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to the supervisor to facilitate prompt correction or reporting
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
- Diagnose defects in heavy duty equipment
- Perform mechanical repairs on equipment in the shop and road calls when required
- Operate automotive servicing equipment, A/C Evac and Recharge, Alignment
- Installation of new and added-on equipment
- Electrical and hydraulic troubleshooting and diagnostics
- Accurate completion of work orders and timecards
- Repair cooling, and lubrication systems
- Install and align engines and machinery
- Repair mechanical transmissions, drivetrains, and final drives
- Repair cable-operated working attachments, winches, compressors, pumps, electric generators, etc.
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance
- Clean, lubricate and perform other maintenance work
- Instruct apprentices
- Keep detailed and accurate maintenance reports and documentation
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology and repair techniques
- Other mechanical repair work as required
- SGI Truck & Trailer Inspection Certification
- Journey Person Heavy Duty, Truck & Trailer and/or Transportation Certificate
- Valid driver’s license. Class 1A an Asset
- Priority given to applicants with prior welding and fabricating experience
- Proven mechanical abilities in hydraulics and electrical, including schematics and diagnostics
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment
- Experience with routine maintenance operations
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to work well under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Computer literate
- Physical ability to lift up to 50lb
- Travel to off-site locations may be required
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g., steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required
- Hazards associated with the trade
- Able to work shiftwork.
PLEASE NOTE: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Fort Garry Industries is a leading Distributor of Aftermarket Heavy Duty Truck and Trailer Parts and Service, Trailers and Equipment. Established in 1919 and operating 16 locations from Ontario to British Columbia, we are a dynamic, growing organization dedicated to providing great customer service in a positive work environment.